In the holy season of Advent, we prepare our hearts for the birth of Jesus. This time of hopeful anticipation marks the beginning of a new Liturgical year.
- Advent 2020
Drive-Through Advent Kick-off
Saturday, Nov. 28, 10 a.m.-12 p.m., Surface Parking Lot
Begin the season together by driving through the surface lot and picking up Advent supplies. Our Advent traditions may look different this year, but we still wait for the Light together; hope to see you then! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Fr. Bob Gribble, Harvest Sunday 2020
- Advent Wreath Kit: Materials to make and decorate your Advent Wreath at home
- Holiday order details from Holy Grounds and Café Divine
- Information about Advent events, classes, ministries
- Christmas Pageant Costumes may be picked up for your photo submission for this year’s Christmas Pageant Service on first Sunday of Christmas, Dec. 27, 9 a.m.
- Children are invited to submit photos of themselves dressed in Nativity costumes, from this year, or a past Christmas!
- Please e-mail email@example.com to reserve a costume.
Send Christmas Pageant photos using the button below or to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, Dec. 6.
- 11/29/20 – Liturgy of the Word (First Sunday of Advent)
- 12/6/20 – Advent Lessons & Carols (Second Sunday of Advent)
- 12/12/20 – Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- 12/13/20 – Liturgy of the Word (Third Sunday of Advent)
- 12/20/20 – Liturgy of the Word (Fourth Sunday of Advent)
Compline in Advent
The Office of Compline will continue to be prayed and sung in the upcoming Advent season, which begins on Nov. 29. The chamber choir, made up of wonderful singers from throughout the community, will offer chant, Renaissance motets and Tudor anthems, proper to the season. Composers will include Lassus, Palestrina, and Tallis. Please, join us online each Sunday evening at 8 p.m. for a 30-minute chanted service.
Compline for the Twenty-third Sunday of Pentecost
Nov. 8, 2020
Blue Advent Prayer Services
Mondays, Nov. 30-Dec. 21
A Zoom service of prayer, music, and conversation for those for whom grief is present.
Sunday Morning Advent Walks
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.,
Nov. 29, Dec. 6, 13, & 20
Safety: We will social distance (only two people will walk at the same time) and everyone must wear a mask over nose and mouth. We will limit registrations.
Register each Wednesdays before the Sunday walk. Registration opens on Wednesday, Nov. 25.
Clergy-led Advent Bible Study
Sundays in Advent, Nov. 29-Dec. 20, at 10 a.m. Clergy-led Sunday morning bible study will focus on a new topic: “The Angels, The Ladies, The Fellows, & The Babies”.Register for one, or all four classes in the series.
One Church, One Book: Advent 2020
Wednesday evenings, 7-8 p.m., Dec. 2, 9, 16, & 23
Join Dr. Steve Bishop, Assistant Professor of Old Testament, Seminary of the Southwest discussing Names for the Messiah.
Christians have claimed from the beginning that Jesus was the Messiah foretold in the Old Testament. In this study, best-selling author Walter Brueggemann tackles the questions: “What were these expectations?” and “Did Jesus fulfill them?”. In Isaiah 9:6, a divine utterance is given to us using four royal titles—Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace. Names for the Messiah ponders each title and how the people understood it then, how Jesus did or did not fulfill the title, and how Christians interpret Jesus as representative of that title.
Outreach in Advent
In November we partner with Hands for Hope, coordinated by El Buen Samaritano providing Thanksgiving meal packages to families in need.
Starting in December, we will support Foundation Communities Holiday Assistance program and Simple Gifts, supporting local charitable organizations.
Family helped by Foundation Communities, Austin 2020
Young Adult (20s/30s) Ministry in Advent
Virtual Young Adult Advent Retreat
Saturday, Dec. 12, 9 a.m. Join your fellow young adults for this restful and refreshing online retreat! Register on Zoom.
Virtual Young Adult Advent Party
Saturday, Dec. 19, 7 p.m. Let’s come together virtually to spread the holiday cheer! There will be games, contests, prizes, and general fun! Register on Zoom.
Youth (6th-12th grade) Ministry in Advent
Youth Formation explores Living Compass’s Living Well in Advent
Nov. 29, Dec. 6, 13, and 20, 10-11:15 a.m.
- Dec. 10, 5-7 p.m.: All Austin EYC Minecraft Christmas Pageant. Join other churches in Austin for a Christmas pageant hosted on the Austin EYC Minecraft server!
- Dec. 15, 6-8 p.m.: High School EYC Christmas party
- Dec. 16, 5:30-7 p.m.: Middle School EYC Christmas party
- Dec. 20, 10 a.m.: Last youth gathering before 2021!
Children’s Ministry (Pre-K-5th grade) in Advent
- Dec. 1, 8, 15, 22: Advent Bedtime Stories and Prayers, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 24: Family Christmas Eve Service, 4:30 p.m.
- Dec. 27: Christmas Pageant (First Sunday of Christmas), 9 a.m.
Advent Children’s Formation Classes
Sundays, 10:15-11:10 a.m. Advent Junior Journey classes (on Zoom) begin Sunday, Nov. 29 after Children’s Chapel
- The Jesse Tree (Ages 3-Kindergarten)
- Advent with the Animals (1st-3rd grades)
- The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd: Ecclesiola
- (Level I: Ages 3-6, Level II: Ages 6-9)
FAMILY PRAYERS AROUND THE ADVENT WREATH
Each week, a family member lights the candle(s), saying, “I light this candle (these candles) to remind us to prepare our hearts for the coming of the Christ Child.”
The family then prays together one of the following:
God of Love, Your son, Jesus, is your greatest gift to us. He is a sign of your love. Help us walk in that love during the weeks of Advent, as we wait and prepare for his coming. Amen.
Lord Jesus, you light the way. Come into our hearts, and dwell in them forever. Grant that your peace may shine forth in our lives. Amen.
Dear God, please bless our family. Help us make our home a joyful place for you. Be with us in all we do together that we may please You. Amen.
Dear Christ, the light of all who love you, help us to make ready for Your birthday by preparing room for you in our hearts. Give us grace to seek peace in our lives, peace in this community, and peace in the world. Draw us closer by showing us how to truly love and serve you. Amen.
Alice Weber, Advent Wreath Party, 2019